The Competent Parent:
a Collaborator in Learning
with Dannielle Gibson
Early Childhood Leader at Department for Education and Child Development, South Australia
Coming in 2021!
[arve url=”https://screencast-o-matic.com/embed?sc=cq6VVruQWE&v=6&ff=1&title=0&controls=1″ align=”center” thumbnail=”3257″ title=”The Competent Parent” description=”The Competent Parent A Collaborator in Learning Dannielle Gibson Early Learning Cafe” controls=”no” /]
Dannielle Gibson is passionate about creating learning environments and experiences that offer all children the opportunity to shine. She believes that in working with the competent child, educators also work from a competent view of the parent in order to truly collaborate.
Creating environments that invite diversity of perspectives and seeing parents as co-learners with their children allows us to view people in a way that says they are enough for who they are right now. Recognizing parents’ strengths and contributions is essential for true collaboration. Documentation is an essential part of this process too.
In this café we will consider how can we move forward with these ideas in early learning contexts and settings.
This Café supports the Ontario Ministry of Education’s:
The Kindergarten Program 2016:
- Pedagogical Approach of Reflective practice and collaborative inquiry
CECE Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice July 2017:
- Code of Ethics B: Responsibilities to Families
- Standard I: Caring and Responsive Relationships
About Dannielle Gibson:
Dannielle Gibson is an Early Childhood Leader at the Department for Education and Child Development in South Australia.
Dannielle has also previously led an early childhood team in a stand-alone kindergarten (preschool) and is also Co-President of Early Childhood Organization INC SA. She was honoured to represent EChO at the Partners table of the recent Rinaldi Residency – Re-imagining Childhood in Adelaide, where she had the opportunity to work closely with Carla Rinaldi from Reggio Emilia.
What should you expect?
- A 1.5 hour live online conversation with Dannielle Gibson that includes both large and small-group discussions
- Opportunity for reflections and Café feedback
- Certificate of completion
- Ongoing access to this café’s supplementary materials
What do I need in order to participate?
This program includes a live, participatory online conversation among all the participants. Therefore, in order to participate, you will need access to:
- an internet device: a computer (laptop or desktop) or tablet (iPad or Android tablet)
- your device must include a camera and microphone
- a high-speed internet connection (at least 5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload speeds)
- We use Zoom for the live conversation module in this Early Learning Café. We recommend that you install the Zoom application on your device (laptop, tablet) well in advance of our Zoom session and use the test features to ensure that your camera and microphone are working.
Be sure you know the 1-2-3’s about our Online Conversations!
Children learn by interacting with ideas, materials and each other. As adults we continue to learn this same way. At Early Learning Café we believe adult learning isn’t about consuming knowledge, but rather about constructing new knowledge through our interactions with ideas, materials and each other.
We all know the drill with webinars. Sign up. Wait for a web link to arrive in our inbox. Click the link at the appropriate time. Then sit back and listen. This Online Conversation has many of these same elements… and a whole lot more.
This Early Learning Café Online Conversation is a mini-course with each step to be completed sequentially:
- It begins with a short reading and reflection – materials to spark your thinking. Once completed you are ready for the live Online Conversation.
- During this 2-hour live session we participate in both full group and breakout group conversations in which we listen, reflect, and share perspectives together.
- After our live session you have lifetime access to additional resources; a template to help you record and personalize your Continuous Professional Learning; and a certificate of participation.