A ‘Thinking’ Environment that Supports Risk‑Taking
with Susan Stacey
Live Online Session: Wednesday May 8, 2019 (7:00 – 8:30 p.m. EDT)
Our café speaker, Susan Stacey, will lead and guide us in an online conversation about environments that support thinking and risk-taking for educators and for children. How do we encourage innovation and thinking in our programs?
Let’s discuss the role of disequilibrium, and how children use materials in new or risky ways. We’ll use inquiry with risky play outdoors. We will find ways we can say yes to learning. We’ll also think critically about routines, curricula and environments in our practice.
Join us as we facilitate supportive, collaborative conversation where you can create new meanings for your professional practice.
Registration for this café will be limited to 16 educators in order to provide space for rich dialogue and idea exchanges.
As we think together about A ‘Thinking’ Environment That Supports Risk-Takings’ we realize:
“It adds a liveliness to our work, because we—along with the children—are wondering. This wonder keeps the passion in our work.” ~Susan Stacey~ About Susan Stacey
We are privileged to be able to facilitate an Online Conversation with Susan Stacey. Susan is an author, educator, college professor, presenter, and early childhood consultant.
Her book Emergent Curriculum in Early Childhood Settings is a Canadian text on how to move into this journey and strengthen your practice. She has also written Pedagogical Documentation in Early Childhood Settings, and The Unscripted Classroom.
This online conversation will be a deeper look at ideas Susan Stacey explores in chapter 3 of her latest book Inquiry-Based Early Learning Environments: Creating, Supporting, Collaborating.
Susan is prompted to question and think deeply by the educators of Reggio Emilia and is currently involved in leading professional learning for educators in Nova Scotia with their new provincial framework.
What should you expect?
- A brief orientation to the online conversation platform we will be using (Completion of this orientation is required prior to our live online conversation on May 8)
- A 1.5 hour live online conversation with Susan Stacey that includes both large and small-group discussions
- Opportunity for reflections and Café feedback
- Certificate of completion
- Ongoing access to this café’s supplementary materials
What do I need in order to participate?
This program includes a live, participatory online conversation among all the participants. Therefore, in order to participate, you will need the access to:
- an internet device: a computer (laptop or desktop) or tablet (iPad or Android tablet)
- your device must include a camera and microphone
- a high-speed internet connection (at least 5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload speeds)
Cost: $40 CAD
Payments are processed through PayPal payable to InspiredToLearn